UFC results: “Wonderboy” wins CRAZY Fight of the Year candidate!
The main event of UFC Orlando turned out to be the craziest striking match we’ve seen in years.
Welterweight veteran Stephen Thompson put on a performance of a lifetime when he clashed with the unorthodox Kevin Holland in a FOTY-candidate. None of the slick strikers were even remotely interested in grappling, resulting in a full out stand up battle.
The first rounds were even. “Wonderboy” landed the cleaner shots, but Holland had more power. However, the latter hurted his right hand somewhere in the earlier rounds, which made Thompson take over more and more. In the fourth, he landed a couple of flush liver kicks that seemed to hurt his opponent badly, before throwing clean spinning kicks to the head.
Between the fourth and the fifth, Holland’s corner threw in the towel to save their hurted fighter from taking more damage, resulting in a TKO win for “Wonderboy”.
View this post on Instagram
“I had to use my timing and distance management,” 39-year-old Thompson said. “I wanted to show the UFC and the fans that Wonderboys is still here. I feel like 25.”
“He’s tough as nails,” Thompson said.
View this post on Instagram
Jack Hermansson lost tough short notice fight
In the co-main event, Rafael dos Anjos showed his excellent grappling as he submitted fan favorite Bryan Barberena in the second round. In the post-fight interview he called out old foe Conor McGregor to settle their unfinished business.
Swedish Jack Hermansson had a tough night as short notice replacement Roman Dolidze was able to defeat him via a second-round TKO.
Read more: Jack Hermansson suffers tough TKO loss against Roman Dolidze
In the prelims, undefeated strawweight Yazmin Jauregui secured her second win in the promotion when she finished Istela Nunes in the second round. With the win, the highly interesting Mexican prospect moved to 10-0, with 2-0 in the UFC.
Read more: BREAKING: Here’s the new main event for Muay Thai For Life 4.0
UFC Orlando – Official results
- Stephen Thompson def. Kevin Holland via TKO, (corner stoppage), round 4
- Rafael dos Anjos def. Bryan Barberena via submission (rear-naked choke), round 2,
- Matheus Nicolau def. Matt Schnell via KO, round 2,
- Sergei Pavlovich def. Tai Tuivasa via KO, round 1
- Roman Dolidze def. Jack Hermansson via TKO, round 2
- Eryk Anders def. Kyle Daukaus via TKO, round 2
- Phil Rowe def. Niko Price via TKO, round 3
- Angela Hill def. Emily Ducote via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Clay Guida def. Scott Holtzman via split decision (29-28, 29-28, 28-29)
- Michael Johnson def. Marc Diakiese via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 30-27)
- Jonathan Pearce def. Darren Elkins via unanimous decision (30-27. 30-27, 30-26)
- Natan Levy def. Genaro Valdez via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 30-27)
- Francis Marshall def. Marcelo Rojo via KO, round 2
- Yazmin Jauregui def. Istela Nunes TKO, round 2
Read more: UFC signs undefeated submission artist – 100% first-round finishing rate!
Subscribe to Frontkick.online on YouTube for the best MMA videos in Scandinavia, and make sure to follow us on Twitter for the latest news and updates!