UFC president Dana White was never even considering giving Stipe Miocic an interim title fight when Jon Jones pulled out due to an injury.
“You have the greatest heavyweight to all-time, versus the greatest martial artist of all time. This is a legacy fight for both of those guys. To even call Stipe and ask Stipe to fight for an interim title, is complete disrespect. This is a fight for two legends. Legacy. Two of the greatest to ever do it. The fans want to see it, I want to see it and they both want to do it,” White said at a press conference.
Will Jones vs Stipe be reeboked?
The UFC president was not able to give a timeline for Jones’ return or if Jones vs Stipe will be reeboked or not.
“I’m not thinking about anything until I know how Jon’s surgery goes,” White said. “He’s got to have surgery, so I’ve got to get through the surgery, see how fast he recovers. He was very serious, he was literally like, ‘I want to do the surgery this week.’ So, he wants to go get this thing done and start rehabbing and start working his way back.”
Current fight card for UFC 295
- Alex Pereira vs. Jiri Prochazka – for vacant light heavyweight title
- Sergei Pavlovich vs. Tom Aspinall – for interim heavyweight title
- Jessica Andrade vs. Mackenzie Dern
- Diego Lopes vs. Pat Sabatini
- Matt Frevola vs. Benoit Saint Denis
- Kevin Borjas vs. Joshua Van
- Stephen Erceg vs. Matt Schnell
- Loopy Godinez vs. Tabatha Ricci
- Jared Gordon vs. Mark Madsen
- Nurullo Aliev vs. Mateusz Rebecki
- Viacheslav Borshchev vs. Nazim Sadykhov
- Dennis Buzukja vs. Jamall Emmers
- John Castaneda vs. Kyung Ho Kang
Read more: UFC rankings: Khamzat bursts into the middleweight rankings!
Check out our sister site Maximum Sports YouTube channel for premium Swedish martial arts content!